Friday, September 28, 2007

Thye Hong @ Food Republic

Address: Food Republic, Wisma Atria, Orchard Road, Singapore

The fact that I have gained 4-5kgs since coming to Singapore in Feburary goes to show how delicious the local fares are in town. My favourite dish is the fried Hokkien Prawn Mee. I was first introduced to the Malaysian version of this dish when I was in Melbourne. Subsequently I frequent ABC Cafe in Glen Waverley for the Singaporean version which is only avaliable on Tuesday. But ever since I came to Singapore, I've never looked back and have long forgotten how (not up to par) the dish is in Melbourne.

The best Hokkien Mee can be found conveniently and surprisingly at Thye Hong at Food Republic which is a modern foodcourt concept in Singapore aimed at bringing back all the old local favourites. There is always a queue at Thye Hong round the clock, every day (not exaggerating). They used to be elsewhere and have opened up a shop in Canada, but the old store has closed down and moved to Food Republic ever since.

The noodle dish consists of yellow egg noodles and a thicker version of vermicelli which are fried till light brown together with some prawns, beanshoots, and green onions. What's magical about this version of Hokkien Mee at Thye Hong is that they use a really pungent and delicious prawn broth and soy sauce to cook up the noodles after it is being fried. The noodles dish is served on a beige-coloured opeh leaf which is the inner sheaf of the bark of a betel nut palm. The leaf infuses the food with a subtle, woody fragrance that enhances its taste after being left to sit for a while. Top it up with some homemade chilli sambal - yum!

I've had plates after plates and I'm still coming back!

No comments: